Thursday, August 20, 2009

Jonna and James: A Love Story

I am going to subtitle this post "An Ultimate Challenge"

You know, I've come across a lot of challenges in my life, especially when it comes to photo shoots. In fact, I feel like there is a challenge at every single shoot, and that's probably why I love my job so much. I have been challenged by time, location and lighting. I have had all the little mishaps and undesirable situations. I have had a tough client or two, but nothing compares to the stress I feel when I have to shoot - (pause for dramatic entrance) - my mother.

What?! Did she just say that?!

Yes I did.
Now, let me explain. I love my mother dearly, I really do. We have a great relationship. And I think she is gorgeous and looks fantastic, especially for her age (I won't elaborate on the actual age, but trust me, she looks great for it.) Unfortunately, she doesn't always agree with this opinion, at least when it comes to pictures.

What!?! She's nuts!! She looks great!

I know, I know. I think so too.

Those of you reading this who are photographers probably understand how hard it is to photograph someone who doesn't feel like they are a super model. It is part of our job to make them feel like Cindy Crawford. This is how we get great shots from someone. For those of you who aren't photographers - trust me, it's a challenge sometimes. I have photographed my mother a couple of times over my career, and I feel like all the times before, I just couldn't get a shot that she really liked. (We are our own worst critic) So, when she asked me to shoot some photos of her and her husband, I was a little stressed to say the least. Of course, I was also excited to do this for them. So, I mustered all of my confidence and met them for the shoot. I felt like now maybe I had enough skill to please even my toughest client. This time both I and my mother will be pleased with the outcome...I will have accomplished a great thing.

Well, I am happy to report that the shoot was a complete success! She loved her pictures, and I loved that she loved them!! They turned out fantastic, and I got a boost in my confidence that is always nice to have. Thanks, Mom, for asking me to shoot these shots. Isn't it funny that it's the compliments that come from those who know you best, that mean the most?








0 comments:

Fans of the Blog

About This Blog

Personal blog for Ashley Riddle. Ashley is a photographer specializing in wedding photojournalism and lifestyle photography located in Edmond, OK
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio